The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
High St OS Grid Ref: Opened:
before 1777 Closed:
before 1841 Type:
This was another establishment in Lampeter where Parish Vestries were held.
By 1841 it was a Mercer's shop, but was still known as the Swan until the 1881 Census.
It stood on the site of D.L.Williams, Ironmongers Notes:
1777 - 1800
The Swan was kept by Chelton Leigh,- the ‘natural’ son of Oakleigh Leigh, of Brongest, - right hand man and agent to Sir Herbert Lloyd of Ffynnonbedr.
Charlton Leigh was appointed to serve out time as Churchwarden from September 1780 – Easter 1781 after the death of Moses Morgan of The Green Dragon.
The Swan was one of the premises where the Parish Vestries were held: 13 were apparently held there over these four years.
Chelton Leigh (F), Auctioneer and Inn keepers (Swan)
Universal British Directory, 1791-1795
These premises were now in the hands of Samuel Lloyd, Mercer, and in the same family through to the 1901 Census. It was still known as The Swan through the 1871 census, but by 1881 it was known as ‘Gladstone Hall’