N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
High Street OS Grid Ref: Opened:
before 1778 Closed:
c. 1845 Type:
Mentioned as one of the places where Parish Vestries were held. At the end of the 1840s these premises were taken by Banc yr Eidon Du (The Black Ox Bank).Notes:
From the Lampeter Parish Register:
1778 - Baptized November 23rd Mary the Daughter of Daniel Evans of the Town, Innkeeper and Anne his wife.
1792 – Baptized June 19th Anne Daughter of Daniel Evans of the Ship, Town and Anne Uxor [Wife]
Mentioned in Parish Vestry minutes
Daniel Evans, victualler, The Ship
Universal British Directory, 1791-1795
1801 (5th October)
Mentioned as one of the premises where the parish Vestry was held.
Daniel Evans, Maesnewydd, Cribyn (Daniel Ddu o Geredigion) lodged at The Ship Inn with Mr and Mrs Morgan, whilst a pupil at the Old Grammar School. (Headmaster – Rev. Eliezer Williams)
Reference to Lampeter involved in the Mail Coach traffic 3 days a week.
Owner David Price Esq.
Occupant - Daniel Evans
Occupant - John and Anne Price.
Sale of The Ship Inn
Tenant at will - David Thomas
First meeting of The Oddfellows held at the Ship Inn
“procession from the Ship to the church. After Church Service, dinner at the Ship, presided over by Mr Samuel Davies, Emporium, and supported by Mr Wm Rees, Chemist”.
Pigot’s directory - David Thomas
Hunt & Co. Directory No mention of The Ship Inn
David Jones & Co Bank was in Lampeter. Banc yr Eidon Du (Black Ox Bank) came to the premises of the Ship Inn.
Some time later, the bank transferred across the High Street to Derry Row