Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 309 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Red Lion Inn, Tregaron

Other names: y Llew Coch
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN6797559766
Opened: c.      
Closed: open 2017       Type: Pub
Summary: Possibly the meeting place of the Beehive Friendly Society, established or first registered: 1828




Notes: 1796
We were compelled to take our quarters at the Red Lion, a poor miserable hovel, one bed was all it afforded; but small and uncomfortable as it was, we found it preferable to the place we slept in the preceding night for it had one desirable quality, viz, no offensive smells.
Williams, William, (1774-1839) and Burgess, James, Rev (1774-1839), A version of this by J. B. jnr and W. W. is in A Pedestrian Tour thro Wales in 1796, NLW MS 23253 C
1868
Housed the Inland Revenue Office
Slater's Directory, 1868
1875
licensee: David Owens (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)

1893
Licensee transferred - Daniel Morgan - see att
1905
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 3; name of premises: Red Lion Inn; Parish / Place: Tregarron; Licensee: Jones, John; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : J Peacock, London; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
1918
Lot 18, rent £6
The Red Lion Inn, in the centre of Tregaron at the cross roads near the bridge
Ground Floor: Bar, two parlours , Kitchen, back kitchen, Scullery, Dairy, Wash house.
Stabling for 13 horses, coach house and other out buildings.
Let to Mr Richard Evans on a yearly Michaelmas Tenancy.
Sale Catalogue of the Tregaron town portions of the Sunny Hill Estate, Cardiganshire, Ceredigion Archives, ADX/424/11


Additional information

Pub sign:

Pub sign, 2006

Date:

Photograph:

Y Llew Goch (Red Lion), Tregaron, 2006

Date: 2006 (approx)

Newspaper:

Transfer of licence after fighting

Date: 1893

Newspaper:

Inquest on traveller

Date: 1884

Newspaper:

Lack of urinals

Date: 1894

Newspaper:

A fatal pub crawl

Date: 1880