Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Crown and Anchor, Tregaron

Other names: Old Crown Inn
OS Grid Ref: SN6798759720
Opened: before 1844      
Closed: 1912       Type: Pub
Notes: 26th July, 1844
Took tea at the Crown and Anchor
Jenkins, Thomas, Jenkins, D.C., (1976), The Diary of Thomas Jenkins of Llandeilo, 1826-1870 (Bala, 1976), p. 46
Licensee: Evan Jones
Slater’s Directory, 1868
licensee: Evan Jones (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 7; name of premises: Crown and Anchor; Parish / Place: Tregaron; Licensee: Jones, John; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : D Roberts and Sons, Aberystwyth; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)

Chief Constable is objecting to renewal of Pontargamddwr Arms, mentions that the Crown and Old Crown are nearby and only 20 yards apart. WGWWA 13 Feb 1908

5th February 1912, Letter from Chief Constable to John Tyrie, the Licensee of the Crown and Anchor, Tregaron, stating that the Chief Constable will be objecting to the renewal of the licence.
The Crown and Anchor, Tregaron is situated near Tregaron Bridge; detailed description of the premises by the Police Sergeant and brief description of the Red Lion, Tregaron; there are 11 other licensed premises in the parish of Caron Lower, all in Tregaron. Detailed valuation of alcohol sold by the Crown and Anchor, and other matters
County Council Clerk’s records, Bundle of correspondence relating to the licensing of public houses in Cardiganshire, 1910-1912, Ceredigion Archives, CDC/SE/14/2
Closed, Compensation £315
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)

"Mr H. H. Jones, Monumental Yard, has been notified of the death in action on June 5th of his brother (Pte. William. Jones). He was the son of the late Mr and Mrs Jones, Crown and Anchor, and has three brothers in France - Pte. E. Brython Jones, Pte. Johnnie Jones, and Pte. Walter Jones; and one brother, Pte., Tommy Jones in the navy." CN 5 July 1918

Additional information