Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Victoria Coffee Tavern, Cardigan / Aberteifi

Other names:
Address/Location: Priory Street
OS Grid Ref: SN1781846145 approx
Opened: 1883      
Closed: after 1910       Type: Temperance
Summary: 1882 The owner of the Priory Estate, Mr George Miles, Llangattock Park, intends to convert a building he owns in Priory St into a Coffee Tavern. COGA 16 Dec 1882
Opened 1883, prop Mrs M L Miles
1884 used for meeting of Oddfellows
Mr Jehu Carpenter of the Coffee Tavern catered for Ragged Children’s Xmas Treat – COGA 28 dec 1889
1897 – Jehu Carpenter prop fined for selling milk diluted with 12% water. CN 4 Dec 1897
1897 – sale of freehold to Mr Woodward for £500 – COGA 7 Aug 1897. Auction advert notes aggregate rental of £22 per annum (Tory club and Oddfellows also tenants)
1909 meeting of Tivyside Fanciers Assoc – CN 15 Jan 1909

Notes: 1883
The Tavern was opened on the 3rd August, 1883. It was modelled on the latest London Taverns and was run by Mrs Miles.
Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, August, 1883; and note Cardigan History Column, Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 3.11.1939

1884
"CARDIGAN. FORMATION OF A FARMERS' CLUB.—At a special meeting of the gentry, farmers, and others, held in the Guildhall, Cardigan, on Saturday, it was decided to organise a Farmers' Club for the district, to consist both of landlords and tenants. About 60 persons subscribed their names as members, and the large room of the Victoria Coffee Tavern, in Priory-street, was resolved upon as a meeting place, to be at once fitted up for that purpose. The following officers were appointed :—Chairman, Captain Jones-Parry, Tyllwyd; vice-chairman, Mr. C. E. D. Morgan-Richardson, Noyaddwilym secretary, Mr. W. Woodward, Caerleon House. The meeting, which was of an influential character. was very unanimous on all subjects of deliberation. " Weekly Mail 23 Aug 1884

1897
John Carpenter fined for adulterating milk with water. CN 10 Dec 1897

1905
"One other case is now given to show how erratic the properties are assessed. The Victoria Coffee Tavern for one room is assessed at £12, one room on next floor at £7. and one room in attic at £6, a total of £25, the same as Pendre house, not reckoning -the back premises. This one narrow house in Priory-street, with one room on each of the three floors is assessed at the same figures as one of the finest places in town, in one of the most coveted positions" WGWWA 11 May 1905

1908
" Death of Miss Carpenter.—The death took place suddenly on Monday, of Miss Sophia Carpenter of the Victoria Coffee Tavern, Priory-street. Miss Carpenter, who had showed no outward signs of ill-health, was the victim of a severe paralitic seizure, from the effects of which she passed away in about nine hours, during which time she did not regain consciousness. She was about 65 years of age and for several years had been manageress of the Victoria Coffee Tavern, and formerly for her brother, Mr. Jehu Carpenter, of High-street, who died in 1899 There are still a sister and a. brother living" WGWWA 5 Dec 1908

Additional information

Newspaper:

Avert for Victoria Coffee Tavern

Date: 1910

Newspaper:

New home for Glantivy Lodge

Date: 1884

Map:

OS Map 1906

Date: 1906


People associated with this establishment
Independent Order of Oddfellows, [-]