The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Culliford Wine Vaults, AberystwythOther names: Address/Location:
24 Great Darkgate Street OS Grid Ref: Opened:
before 1864 Closed:
after 1880 Type:
Originally owned by George Tempany Smith.
Sold to Gowan Clark in Jan 1869
Sold to Henry Culliford in 1871
George Tempany Smith ran the Wine Vaults at 24 Great Darkgate Street in the late 1860s. He'd married the daughter of the White Horse in 1853. Is there a connection? Same building, new name?Notes:
The late Mr Evan Jones, painter, having built the houses in Great Darkgate-street now occupied by Mr W. T. Williams and Mr Culliford, they were purchased by Mr Smith, who then [by 1864] removed from the White Horse to the Wine Vaults in Great Darkgate-street, and succeeded in building up one of the best businesses in the town. ... Mr Smith took out an auctioneer's license, and sometime afterwards gave up the business in Great Darkgate-street to Mr Clarke, a stationmaster at Aberystwyth, who was succeeded by the late Mr Culliford.
Cambrian News 16.2.1882 (Obituary of Mr G. T. Smith, 1820-1882)
People associated with this establishment Culliford, Henry [-1880]
Advert for Henry Culliford
Horse left unattended outside Cullifords
Culliford takes over 24 Great Darkgate Street
Culliford's transferred from Smith to Clark