Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Black Lion Inn, Ysbyty Ystwyth

Other names: Black Lion Hotel, Pontrhydygroes
Address/Location: Pont-y-Berws, Pontrhydygroes
OS Grid Ref: SN7351171727
Opened: before 1881      
Closed: 1930       Type: Pub
Summary: Address given as Nant-y-berrws in the Register of Licences, 1889-1892
also Nantyberws (news 1881)
Some confusion with references to a Black Lion Hotel Pontrhydygroes (which is in the parish of Ysbyty Ystwyth). This Black Lion is between Ysbyty Ystwyth Village and Pontrhydygroes. But see 1902 report. It seems likely that they're the same place, no BL in Pontrhydygroes itself on any map.

Notes: Already open in 1881 (news report) owner Mr and Mrs Messer

1888 on 25-inch map
1889-1892
Owner, 1889-1892: David Roberts, the Green Trefechan (brewer)
Licensee, 1889-1892: John Messer
Register of Licences, Ilar Hundred, 1889-1924 with additions to 1952, Ceredigion Archives, TPS/LLI/1/7

1893
"Marriage:Mr Daniel Morgan, Cwmsymlog, to Harriet, daughter of Mr John Messer, Black Lion,Pontrhydygroes." CN 2 Jun 1893

1896: landlord Mr Messer (court report)

1897
"Renewals. Mr Arthur Hughes appeared on behalf of Mr Arch and applied for the renewal of the licence for the Black Lion, Pontrhydfendigaid. He admitted service of the notices, and said there were three objections offered by the police against the renewal. The material objection, however, was that internal communication was allowed to exist between the Black Lion and the adjoining private house in the occupa4ion of Mr Arch's brother. That communication had since been walled up. The house was old established, and much frequented by gentlemen who visited the neighbourhood for fishing. As far as the management was concerned there could be no objection to it. The Chief Constable said as communication with the adjoining house had been cut off he was satisfied.- The Bench thereupon agreed to renew the licence." CN 3 Sept 1897

1905
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 16; name of premises: Black Lion Inn; Parish / Place: Ysbyty Ystwyth; Licensee: Evans, Joseph; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : D Roberts and Sons, Aberystwyth; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)

1926
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW , Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7

1930
Closed, Compensation £118
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)



Additional information

Map:

Ysbyty Ystwyth, (2) 25 inch map, 1905

Date:

Newspaper:

Report of a Sports Day

Date: 1881

Map:

Ysbyty Ystwyth 6-inch 1886

Date: 1886 (approx)

Newspaper:

Selling during prohibited hours

Date: 1902