The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: WhitehallAddress/Location:
Stryd Fawr, LLANON SY23 5HE OS Grid Ref:
c. 1911 Type:
Built by Evan Rowlands. Now closed. The site is now residential, but still known as WhitehallNotes:
Whitehall Inn, occupied by Mary Pugh, public house keeper;
licensee: John Pugh (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
"John Pugh, landlord of the Whitehall Inn, Llannon, was fined £2 for felling liquor during prohibited hours, and Anne Felix, Llannon, wife of a mariner, was proved to have been on the premises at the time, and fined 7s 6d with costs" Western Mail 1 June 1877
Whitehall Inn occupied by John Pugh, publican;
Whitehall Inn occupied by John Pugh, innkeeper;
John Pugh fined 10s + costs for permitting drunkenness. Brython Cymreig 7 April 1893
occupied by John Clarke, hotel keeper;
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 47; name of premises: White Hall; Parish / Place: Llanon; Licensee: Clarke, John; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Evan Rowlands, Santamamlwg, Llanon; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
census: Whitehall occupied by John Clarke, publican.
From the Inspector of Nuisances Report 14/02/1914 Whitehall, Llanon disinfected after a death from Phthisis.Additional information
People associated with this establishment Pugh, John William [1852-] Pugh, John [1816-1876]