The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 328 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
36 St Mary Street OS Grid Ref:
before 1794 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
In existence from at least 1794 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories etc.)Notes:
Rules and Orders to be observed by The Ancient Briton Society, or Gomer's Race United, consisting of Tradesmen and Inhabitants of the County Town of Cardigan, and the neighbourhood thereof, begun and established the Twentieth of February 1810, and held at the Angel Inn, in the said Town.
Ceredigion Archives, CDM/SE/14/1
Site of auction (The Cambrian)
On Wood's map
Dinner held to make launch of a ship. See att.
Licensee: Owen Phillips
Slater’s Directory, 1868 (not in Worrall's directory, 1875)
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 42; name of premises: Angel Hotel; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Adey, Stephen; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Miller and Co, Bristol; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
Proprietress. A Perrott
Advert, Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 3.12.1909
licensee: Anne PERROTT
(Kelly's Directory, 1920)Additional information
Pub sign, 2006
White Hart and Angel on Wood's map
Dinner to celebrate ship launch