The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 309 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Fishers Arms, Cellan (p)
Other names: CaerauAddress/Location: OS Grid Ref:
open 2016 Type:
Name changed from Caerau to the Fisher's Arms early 1870s
A pub review site claims it dates from 1580Notes:
"P.C. David Davies (8), stationed at Lampeter, charged John Williams, Blaenavon, Monmouthshire, draper, with having refused to give his name and address to the complainant at Caerau or Fishers' Arms, Cellan, at twenty minutes past four in the afternoon of Sunday, September 7th." AO 25 Oct 1873
James Davies publican (see 1907 article)
Petty Sessions: Lampeter; number on list: 18; name of premises: Fisher's Arms; Parish / Place: Cellan; Licensee: Davies, James; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Dr Davies, Millfield, Lampeter; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
James Davies fined for late drinking. Has been publican there 'for 21 years' - see att.
Recommended for closure by the local licencing committee but renewed by the County.
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)