The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location: OS Grid Ref:
Described as Alehouse (not PH) on compensation notice 1909Notes:
Described as "a cozy little pub" in 1881 report - see att.
1888 and 1905 on 25-inch maps
Petty Sessions: Lower Troedyraur; number on list: 2; name of premises: Tanners Arms; Parish / Place: Verwig; Licensee: Richards, John; owner or tenant : owner; registered owner : licencee; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
"The Chief Constable opposed the renewal of the license of the Tanner's Arms, Verwig. In so doing the Chief Constable reminded the bench that last year this license was referred to Quarter Sessions, but it was renewed, the chairman in so doing remarking that it was done solely because the magistrates had not sufficient money to compensate the tenant. Sergeant Davies said he knew this house well for the past three years. It was licensed to John Richards and situated in the parish of Verwig which had a population of 227 inhabitants. It was a medium sized house, surrounded by a church, chapel, and smithy, and had a stable for five horses, but no proper urinal. Its rateable value was £12. There was one other licenced house in the parish -Gwbert hotel - and in his opinion the Tanner's Arms was not required at all. The bench referred the licence to Quarter Sessions for renewal or compensation." WGWWA 4 Feb 1909
Lic: John Richards
Closed, Compensation £305
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
2017 Appears on Google Maps as 'Gwynfro', offering bed and breakfast.