Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Cross Roads, Llandyfriog

Other names:
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN3506441471
Opened: c.      
Closed: c. 1914       Type: Pub
Summary: Near Aber-Banc, in the parish of Llandyfiog.


Notes: 1868
Cross Roads, Lampeter Road, Newcastle Emlyn, Licensee: Davies, David
Slater’s Directory, 1868 (not in Worrall's directory, 1875)

1905
Petty Sessions: Penrhiwpal; number on list: 6; name of premises: Cross Roads; Parish / Place: Llandyfriog; Licensee: Jones, Owen; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Sir Marteine Lloyd, Bronwydd; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
1911
The pub was owned by Sir Marteine Lloyd (1851-1933), the second of the Lloyd Baronets of Bronwydd, Cardiganshire). He was on the Penrhiwpal licensing committee and thought there were too many public houses in the Country. He was content to have the licence with-held but the Bronwydd Rent Dinner was held here twice a year, so he had took legal advice and was told that he could take drinks there for the dinner even if the licence was taken away. Description of the rooms in the pub and their sizes.
Handwritten extracts taken from the 1911 petty sessions relating to licenses for public houses, in particular the Cross Roads Inn and Penrhiwllan Inn.
Ceredigion Archives, ADX/870/3/4/2/4
1911
Recommended for closure, but the local licencing committee, but the licence was renewed by the County committee until 1914 when it was closed, Compensation £74
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
1911

1911-1912
Printed details of the figures on which the calculations for compensation were based. Also, Recommendation that the Cross Roads, Llandyfriog should not have its licence renewed with detailed descriptions of the premises.
Licensee: John Evans
County Council Clerk’s records, Bundle of correspondence relating to the licensing of public houses in Cardiganshire, 1910-1912, Ceredigion Archives, CDC/SE/14/2

1916 Jan
Licensing committee reports compensation of £74 now paid.



Additional information

Map:

Llandyfriog, 6 inch, 1904

Date: