N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: White Hart 1Address/Location:
High Street SA48 7BG OS Grid Ref:
c. 1865 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
12th Century - Saint Thomas’ Church and / or Mynwent Twmas stood on what became the premises and gardens of the White Hart and later Castle Hotel.
An account in the Welsh Gazzette, by J.T.R. in 1934 states that “ …. An old yew tree is still to be seen, - a relic of the old Churchyard”.
Samuel Rush Meyrick in his ‘A History of Cardiganshire’ stated that ‘pieces of old leaden coffins’ were found in the ground.
Similarly, the Rev D.Lloyd Isaac recorded in 1859 that ‘a few years before, some bones and fragments of coffins were dug up by some antiquarian investigator’.
Between 1861 and 1871, The White Hart was demolished, and the ground landlord, William Jones, Glandenys, had to re-house David & Mary Lewis. They took the name of the White Hart with them to Harford Square. (see WHITE HART). A new building was erected, which became the Castle Hotel.
These premises were then known as The White Hart.
David & Mary Lewis lost a baby son in April 1838
26-27 July, 1844
Slept at the White Hart, paid for bed and breakfast, 1s
Jenkins, Thomas, Jenkins, D.C., (1976), The Diary of Thomas Jenkins of Llandeilo, 1826-1870 (Bala, 1976), p. 46
David & Mary Lewis still here at the time of the 1861 census.
He was the Innkeeper as well as being an auctioneer, and farming 200 acres of land at Pyllaucrynion.
CASTLE HOTEL (newly built between 1861 and 1871)
Innkeeper – Benjamin Davies, and Annie his wife.
licensee: Benjamin Davies (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Benjamin & Annie Davies
Municipal Charter Parade, November 10th: William Jones, Glandenys, Mayor held a dinner at the Castle Hotel.
Ostler John Jenkins killed by horse - see att.
Innkeeper – Elizabeth Davies, spinster. (Was she Benjamin’s sister?)
Elizabeth Davies, with 2 nephews living there: John, a student, and Thomas, a groom and Ostler.
Petty Sessions: Lampeter; number on list: 4; name of premises: Castle Hotel; Parish / Place: Lampeter; Licensee: Davies, Elizabeth; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Trustees of the late W Jones, Glandenys, Lampeter; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
Lampeter Guide Book – Advertisement for Castle Hotel
“Old established Posting House”. Proprietor – Tom Davies
Innkeeper – Thomas Davies, married to Annie Davies.
The Castle Hotel listed 17 rooms in the census returns.
Tom & Elsie Ebenezer
John & Ann Jones
Mike & Nan Jones