The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 323 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 135 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Cilgwyn Arms, Llandysul
Other names: Address/Location:
Bridge St, Llandysul SA44 4BA OS Grid Ref:
open 2017 Type:
There were two Cilgwyn Arms listed in Worrall's directory, 1875, one described as 'near the station'Notes:
Licensee: Evans, John
Slater’s Directory, 1868
near the station, Llandysul
licensee: Thos. Davies (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Petty Sessions: Llandyssul; number on list: 2; name of premises: Cilgwyn Arms; Parish / Place: Llandyssul Town; Licensee: Thomas, Timothy; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Allsopps and Sons, Burton on Trent; free or tied: tied; tied to: Allsopps and Sons; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
From "The Welsh Gazette" July 3rd.
"The Buffs. – Col. Fitzwilliams entertained the members of the Fitzwilliams Lodge of Buffaloes and friends to supper at the Cilgwyn Arms on Thursday evening. Speeches were delivered by the Chairman, Rev E J Davies, Bangor Teify, Dr Selby Clare, Cardigan, Messrs W Henson and W Evans, chemist, while musical items were rendered by Mrs Arthur Thomas, Cardgian, Mr Bowskill, stationmaster, Mr W G Thomas and Dr Clare."
NB: The Buffs would be the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes (RAOB). See photo of the Cilgwyn Arms which has RAOB over the door.Additional information
People associated with this establishment Evans, Sarah [-] Godfrey, Thomas E. [-] Jacob, Evan [-] Thomas, Timothy [-]