Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 992 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 319 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 665 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Wilkes Head Hotel, Pontwelly / Pontweli

Other names: Wilks Head
Address/Location: Pontwelly, Llandysul, Carmarthenshire SA44 4AA
OS Grid Ref: SN4144740243
Opened: c.      
Closed: NOT KNOWN       Type: Hotel
Summary: Meeting place of the Cyfrinfa Tyssul (Tyssul Sant Friendly Soc?), established or first registered: 1839(H.R.Evans, A Village Worthy , Evan Isaac Thomas of Llandysul, His days (1823-1908) and Diary (1876-1885), 'Ceredigion', Vol. 4, No. 2 (1961), pp. 157-158), “My Failings and Imperfections: The Diary of Rees Thomas of Dôl-llan 1860-1862” Editor: Steve Dubé, 1970s "Vagabond Book of Mid-Wales (2)" by Don Gardner

Notes: 1875
licensee: Wm. J ones (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)

1888
On 25-inch map

1905
Not on 1905 list

1 March 1901
Carmarthen Journal and South Wales Weekly Advertiser
"Llandyssul Horse Races. The sixth annual trotting matches, flat and hurdle races, steeplechases and jumping competition were held on the Abercerdin and Wilkes Head Meadows on Thursday, the 21st inst. Year after year this event is increasing in popularity, and is being supported in the heartiest manner by all the sporting fraternity of this and the two adjoining counties, while in town it is looked upon as one of its chief institutions. " article goes on to say that there was a crowd of 1500 and then lists the winners.

May 23 1924
Carmarthen Journal: Carmarthenshire Antiquarian Society Report
A black Flag - Tysul Sant Friendly Society. When a member died the flag was hung in the Club Room window at the Wilkes Head. Given to the C A S by the owner of Wilkes Head when the club was dissolved around 1920-21.



Additional information


People associated with this establishment
Davies, John [-]
Edis, Robert [-]
Evans, John [-]
James, Hannah [-]
James, James [-]
James, John [-]
Jones, William [-]
Tomney, James [-]

Total: 7


Events
1876, Petty Sessions /