Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: New Market Tavern, Aberystwyth

Other names: Market Tavern
Address/Location: 3 Market Street
OS Grid Ref: SN5826881687
Opened: c.      
Closed: c. 1938       Type: Pub
Summary: Meeting place of the Cambrian Benefit Society, established or first registered: 1832
(JD Pratt’s list, printed, no. 10, date of approval by Pratt 29.9.1832)

Some references to a 'Market Tavern' but seems to be the same place, based on landlords.


Notes: 1837
On the list of premises which were provided with water by the Aberystwyth Improvement Commissioners, 1837. Occupier / Landlord: Griffith James, 3 Market Street (Ceredigion Archives)

1861
Lic. Eliza Edwards. Court report drunk and disorderly. Welshman 5 July 1861
1871
licensee: John Edwards
source: Post Office directory, 1871
1875
New Market, Edwards, John, Inn and Public House, 3 Market Street, Aberystwyth, (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)

1879
"Petition for liquidation: William P. Evans, New Market Inn, Market-street, Aberystwyth, Cardigan, licensed victualler." CN 12 Dec 1879

1879
"TRANSFERS. The license of the Crystal Palace,from Thos Abbot to Evan Humphreys Three Tuns, from William George Clarke to Evan Foulkes, New Market Tavern, from Henry Mitchell to William Evans "Nags Head," from David Thomas (deceased) to --- Thomas. " AO 10 May 1879

1892
Auction notice for White Hart and Market Tavern. Carmarthen Journal 27 May 1892


1894
"Transfers. The licences of the Railway Inn, New Market Tavern, Butcher's Arms, and Prince Albert Hotel were transferred to Mrs Tanner, W. Jones, W. Davies, and Miss Morris respectively." CN 8 June 1894

1905
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 23; name of premises: New Market Tavern; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Jones, William; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : David Roberts and Sons; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
1912
Recommended for closure by the local licencing committee but not proceeded with.
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
9th March 1912
Detailed description of the building; used by holiday makers for accommodation; next door to the White Hart and in the same street as the Talbot.
County Council Clerk’s records, Bundle of correspondence relating to the licensing of public houses in Cardiganshire, 1910-1912, Ceredigion Archives, CDC/SE/14/2
1919
Mr Trevor Hughes applied for the transfer of the licence of the New Market Tavern to Miss Annie Jones which was granted.
The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 6th June 1919
1938
Closed, Amount of compensation unknown
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
1939
Licensing Committee. Decision to close the pub and pay compensation of £225 – but the landlord did not accept the offer.
Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 13 Jan. 1939






Additional information

Map:

Market Street, Aberystwyth, 50 inch, 1905

Date:


People associated with this establishment
James, Griffith [-]