Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 309 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Skinners Arms, Aberystwyth

Other names: Tavern in the Town; Blingwyr; Skinner's Video Bar; Porky's Fun Bar; K2; Yokos ; Why Not
Address/Location: Pier Street / Clock Square
OS Grid Ref: SN5820481629
Opened: before 1816      
Closed: open 2017       Type: Pub
Summary: The land on which this was built was owned by Nanteos (NLW, Nanteos, 3257-3263; NLW, Roberts and Evans)

Henry Michells of the Skinner's arms wrote to the Nanteos Estate about the tenancy of the Nanteos Arms to William Christall (NLW Nanteos, L2332)

Changed name often from the 1970s. Currently (2017) The Why Not Club.

Notes: 1816
Letter from David James of the Skinner's Arms asking the Nanteos estate if he could lease land at the back of the Black Lion stables, Pier Street, to build a stable there. 1816
(NLW Nanteos, L891)
1816
David James, Skinners Arms, Pier Street, (Aberystwyth Guide, 1816)
1822
Ann James, Skinner's Arms, Pier Street (Pigot’s directory, 1822)
1830
licensee: Ann James,
source: Pigot and Co, 1830
1831-1854
The Skinners Arms stables were rented from the Nanteos estate by Anne James
(NLW Nanteos Rentals)
1840
licensee: Ann James, 39 Pier Street
source: Robson's trade directory 1840
1844
licensee: Ann James,
source: Pigot and Co., 1844

1871
"On the application of Mr Henry Mitchell, the license of the Skinner's Arms Inn was transferred from Mr Richard Pryce, who lately occupied the house, to him" CN 21 Jan 1871

1873
Auction, Lot 70 Skinners Arms, malthouse, house and stable, Pier Street. Leasehold for 60 years from 12th May 1830. Tenant Henry Mitchell
(Ceredigion Archives MUS/50/16)
1875
Skinners Arms, Mitchell, Henry, Inn and Public House, Great Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth, (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)

1877-1906(?) Mrs Ellis Lic. (and husband?) see obituary

1892
For sale: The old-established PUBLIC HOUSE known as the SKINNER'S ARMS, situate in Clock Tower Square, in the occupation of Mrs Ellis. Cmn Jnl 27 May 1892

1905
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 35; name of premises: Skinner's Arms; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Ellis, James; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : David Roberts and Sons; free or tied: tied; tied to: Aberystwyth Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
1926
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
1956
Skinners Arms Hotel, Mr and Mrs Baker, G.C., hotel proprietor, Pier Street, Aberystwyth, (Anon, (1956), Official Guide, p. 47, (1956), advert, picture)
1969
Elfed Evans (famous landlord of the Coopers Arms in Northgate) takes tenancy. Protests by the Welsh Language Society were numerous during the 60s and the Skinners (Blingwyr in Welsh) became the meeting place for Welsh students and for the developing Welsh music scene. Ronnie and Ryan, the Hennessys, Max Boyce and Meic Stevens performed and stayed there. The back bar was a lively music venue, the Tremeloes, Kinks, Rolling Stones, Champion Jack Dupree and Arthur 'Big Boy' Crudupp sang there.
Y Cymro 16.9.80

1971
'Skinners Arms Hotel. Prop : Elfed and Myra Evans. Free private parking. Croeso i aelwyd gynnes Cymraeg. Bed and breakfast. An up-to-date hotel with most comfortable accommodation. Barn Bar for top class entertainment. Home of University and Aberystwyth Folk Club. One minute sea. Fully licensed. Open to non-residents.'
Aberystwyth : Sun, Sea, Scenery, 1971, advert
1977
'Tavern in the Town Hotel. Lively bars with a friendly atmosphere in the centre of Aberystwyth. 3 minutes walk from the beach. No. 1 for lunch time bar meals. All rooms with H.C. & T.V.s. Highly recommended for the young at heart. Restaurant open nightly. Also we have Aberystwyth's only discotheque which is open nightly. Serving hot and cold food till 12 o'clock. Residents have free membership to Aberystwyth Squash Club.'
Aberystwyth Town and Around, 1977, Advert
1987
Skinners installed a satellite that can pick up 6 television channels including music and sports.
1990
Skinners Video Bar owned by Peter Faulkner. A glass house area was built at the back of the premises.


Additional information

Map:

Upper Great Darkgate Street, Aberystwyth, 50 inch, 1905

Date:

Photograph:

Why Not, formerly Skinners Arms, Aberystwyth, 2016

Date: 2016

Newspaper:

Death of Mrs Ellis

Date: 1906