The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Lord Hill, AberystwythOther names: Address/Location:
Queen Street OS Grid Ref:
SN581816 approx Opened:
NOT KNOWN Type:
Meeting place of the Union Society, established or first registered: 1812, after they left the Union Pub, Aberystwyth. (Evans, George Eyre, Aberystwyth Friendly Societies' Welsh Gazette, 12.4.1900 and 19.4.1900)
'The Lord Hill tavern was where, more than sixty years ago [1830s], the shoemakers of the town had their rendezvous, and where the Knights of St Crispin formed a club which had for its object the helping a brother-knight "on the tramp," who should in his "errantry" find himself in Aberystwyth.
Article on Local Nonconformist Vestry Taverns by David Samuel, The Aberystwith Observer, 2nd April 1896Notes:
Mechiah Warrington, Lord Hill, Queen Street
(Pigot’s directory, 1822)
licensee: George Drew,
source: Pigot and Co, 1830
On the list of premises which were provided with water by the Aberystwyth Improvement Commissioners, 1837. Occupier / Landlord: Mrs Elizabeth Jones, 5 Queen Street (Ceredigion Archives)
Non-conformist taverns in Aberystwyth