N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Three Golden Horseshoes?Address/Location:
High St OS Grid Ref: Opened:
before 1760 Closed:
NOT KNOWN Type:
An old establishment in the town, where Courts Leet met.
After the 1851 census, it became known as The Priory.
These premises became the Post Office by the 1901 census, with Joseph, son of Rev John Jones as Postmaster.Notes:
A Court Leet was held at The Three Horse Shoes being the house of George Jenkin.
"Among those who journeyed to Llangeitho, was the wife of David Jenkins, who kept the Three Horse Shoes public house in High-street. Although not a member himself, out of respect for the religion of his wife's choosing he offered a room in the public-house for the preaching, and likewise entertained the preachers who came to minister at Lampeter. " CN 18 June 1874
Described as one of the principal inn in the town. David Jenkins was described as an inn keeper in the directory without naming the Inn which he kept.
Universal British Directory, 1791-1795
Parish Vestry meetings adjourned to the house of David Jenkins, Three Horse Shoes Inn on June 4th 1792
(G.Eyre Evans, 'Lampeter', (1905) p. 34)
Parish Vestry meetings adjourned to the house of David Jenkins, Three Horse Shoes Inn on May 12th 1794
(G.Eyre Evans, 'Lampeter', (1905) p. 43)
David Jenkins bought some of the Old Priory land, and Tabernacl Chapel was built for the Methodists. Services had been held at David Jenkins’ house prior to this after the Methodists left Creigiau, on the Cellan Road in Cwmann.
The George III Charter was before the Court Leet on the 19th January in the dwelling house of David Jenkins, Portreeve.
Elizabeth Jenkins of The Three Horse Shoes married Rev John Jones, minister of Tabernacl Chapel. They continued to live in The Three Horse Shoes.