The database currently contains details of 1001 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 322 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 670 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 136 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
High St OS Grid Ref: Opened:
before 1870 Closed:
c. 1880 Type:
R.D.writing in the Carmarthen Journal in 1935 in his column “65 years ago”, remembers the Crown Bach being run by 2 brothers, Billy and Thomas Jenkins. They held the sole agency in the district for Nortons Brewery, Carmarthen. Nortons’ wagon was drawn by 4 horses, bringing its load of 9-gallon casks.The brothers also sold beer brewed at Llannon, and sometimes “used it to stiffen-up house-brew when weak”.
Anne Jenkins, Ale merchant
Census, 1871Additional information