Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 310 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Cross Inn, Ffair Rhos

Other names: Teifi Inn
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN7389168016
Opened: c.      
Closed: open 2017       Type: Pub
Summary: Both this and Cross Inn, Bwlchgwynt, Gwnnws, were listed in 1889, and both had a licensee called David Morgans.

2017: Called Teifi Inn

Notes: 1888
On 25-inch map

1889-1892
Owner 1890-1892: John Jones, late of Llwrfriog
Licensee 1889-1892: David Morgans
Transferred to Tregaron Petty Sessional Division, 1892
Register of Licences, Ilar Hundred, 1889-1924 with additions to 1952, Ceredigion Archives, TPS/LLI/1/7

1905
Petty Sessions: Tregaron; number on list: 20; name of premises: Cross Inn; Parish / Place: Ffair Rhos; Licensee: Hughes, Lewis J; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : City Brewery, Litchfield; free or tied: tied; tied to: City Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
1908
Recommended to be closed by the local licencing committee, but licence renewed by the County Committee
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)
1909 Lengthy discussion about renewal reported in the paper (see att) licence renewed. "The annual trade consisted of thirty-one barrels of ale, 105 dozen bottles, and twenty gallons of .spirits. There was an increase in the sale of draught ale." CN 26 Feb 1909
1917
TO BREWERS AND OTHERS. To be SOLD BY AUCTION the PUBLIC HOUSE, CROSS INN, FAIR RHOS. MESSRS. DANIEL REES and EVANS are favoured with instructions from T. J. Waddingham, Esq., J.P., D.L., to offer for Sale by Auction, upon the Premises, as above, On WEDNESDAY, MAY 2nd, 1917, at-2 o'clock in the afternoon, subject to such Conditions of Sale as may be then read or produced, the Valuable FREEHOLD Licensed Inn or Public House Known as CROSS INN, FFAIR RHOS, together with the land thereto belonging, extending to an area of about 2 roods, 36 perches, and now in the occupation of Mr. William Owen as yearly tenant, at a nett annual rental of £8.
The Property holds a 6-day Licence, is a Free House, and is conveniently situated, being close to the Esgairmwyn, Lisburne, and Cambrian Mines; within 1 1/8 miles from the Village of Pontrhydfendigaid, and 2½ miles from Strata Florida Station (G.W.R.) For further particulars apply to the Auctioneers, Baker-street, Aberystwyth; J. G. Morris- Davies, Esq., Hafod Estate Office. Devil's Bridge, S.O.; or to Messrs Roberts and Evans, Solicitors, Aberystwyth.
CAMBRIAN NEWS 27.4.1917




Additional information

Pub sign:

Pub sign, 2006

Date:

Map:

Cross Inn, Ffair Rhos, 6 inch, 1904

Date:

Map:

Ffair Rhos, 25 inch, 1905

Date:

Map:

Crowborough Gate and Cross Inn, Ffair Rhos OS 1889

Date: 1889