The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 313 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Address/Location:
22 Pwllhai OS Grid Ref:
before 1861 Closed:
c. 1907 Type:
In existence 1861-1907 (Glen Johnson's list from Trade Directories, Census returns etc.)
Compensation notice in 1907 refers to it as an alehouse, not a PH
1881 Census shows it as 22 Pwllhai. OS Maps aren't clear about house numbering, and don't mark most PHs. 1905 1:2500 does faintly show 'PH'. Court report in 1892 refers to a 'passageway to a back door' so probably one of the passages on the OS map.Notes:
licensee: Mary Jenkins (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Mary Jenkins, Wid, 79
"Keeping Licenced Premises open during Illegal Hours. P.S Evan Davies charged David Griffiths, grocer's assistant of Crosswell-terrace, Neath, Glam., landlord of the Bear Inn, Pwllhai, with keeping his licenced premises open for the sale of intoxicants on the morning of Sunday, the 30th of June. Mr H. R. Daniel appeared for defendant. Evidence having been given that a person was found upon the premises about two a.m.. and as this house had for some time been watched by the police the Bench considered the case proved, and fined defendant the sum of £3 and costs. " CN 19 July 1889
Open on a Sunday - see article
Landlord: David Griffiths
Petty Sessions: Cardigan; number on list: 40; name of premises: Bear Inn; Parish / Place: Cardigan; Licensee: Doughton, Richard; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Miller and Co, Bristol; free or tied: free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Closed, Compensation £466
(County Licencing Committee, 1905-1938 Ceredigion Archives, Cards/QS/L/1)