N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Other names: Black Lion Royal Hotel; Y Llew DuAddress/Location:
High Street OS Grid Ref:
c. 1700 Closed:
open 2017 Type:
The Black Lion is believed to have been built about this time but there is no mention of the name of BLACK LION until about 1764 according to George Eyre Evans ('Lampeter', 1905)
Black Lion Fields
2 fields known as ‘Cae Dimau’ and ‘Cae Pedoli’
Cae Dimau - possibly used by Drovers overnight, or more likely by farmers and people coming into Lampeter on market days, and paying a fee for leaving their horses here.
Cae Pedoli (Horseshoes field)– linked with above: horses would need shoeing, and as there was a blacksmith nearby, horses might be kept here waiting their turn. A blacksmith was also employed by the Black Lion Hotel.
Coaches arriving daily would need their horses changed, and new horseshoes made for the horses
The 1st Lampeter Agricultural Show is thought to have been held on a field to the rear of the Black Lion Hotel in October 1877
Galloping and Trotting races held on The Black Lion Field ( report in The Cambrian News 20th March 1914)
2017 August Brains Brewery announce the Black Lion is to close.Notes:
Referred to as “The dwelling house of David James, Innkeeper”
First Quarter Sessions held at Lampeter in The Black Lion. Presided over by Walter Lloyd, His Majesty’s Attorney General (Walter Lloyd of Foelallt, father of Sir Herbert Lloyd, Ffynnonbedr)
1777 – 1780
15 Parish Vestries held at the Black Lion
Sale of Derry Ormond at the Black Lion on 12th January 1782. Sold to John Lewis for £1,575 on behalf of John Jones, Surgeon/apothecary of Greenchurch St., London.
Clerk of the Market: Thomas Williams, Innkeepeer of the Black Lion was appointed Clerk of the Market in place of Jenkin Davies [or David], Barber
April 7th. Black Lion: “The cwrw flowed freely”. 7/6 was paid for ale. (Parish vestry meeting?)
January : Thomas Williams, keeper of the Black Lion for many years dies, aged 51 years.
A visitor describes how he finds …”so many gentlemen from England bent on fishing schemes”.
The Black Lion had its own salmon beat on the Teifi.
Wesleyan Methodist services held in the long room of the Lion Hotel. Mrs Lewis, Black Lion - one of the first members.
1826 – 1827
Court Leet held in Black Lion
1828 – 1829
Court Leet held in Black Lion
September 5th 1828
Cost of stay (in shillings and pence)
coat mended 2 6
breakfast 1 6
tea and cutlets 1 6
bed 1 6
waiter 1 0
chambermaid 0 6
porter at college 1 6
tea 1 6
bed 1 6
breakfast 1 6
Clark, Charles B., Tour of Wales in August and September, 1828, NLW MS 15002A
Licensee – Anthony Allen (Pigot’s Directory)
Bed & breakfast 1/-
Innkeeeper: Thomas Arthur (Portreeve of Lampeter 1851, 1855, 1857-58)
Thomas Arthur dies.
His widow, Sarah Arthur continues to run the Black Lion.
First Eisteddfod at Lampeter held behind the Black Lion. The Marquee was large enough to hold 4,000 – 5,000.
Innkeeper – Sarah Arthur
Licensee: Barrow, Ann
Slater’s Directory, 1868
Innkeeper – Rees Davies
Dafy Gȏf, chief Blacksmith to the Black Lion for many years, dies, aged 94. (Born 1777)
licensee: Benjamin Davies (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
Innkeeper – Henry Dawkes
Innkeeper – William Jones (son of John Jones, Shoemaker – Jacci Baccer)
Manageress – Mary Amelia Pudge (or Rudge?)
William Rees of The Emlyn Arms, Newcastle Emlyn had now taken over The Black Lion, and engaged a Manageress.
"Transfer.On the application of Mr. H. W. Howell, a transfer of the license of the Black Lion Hotel, from Miss Rose Pudge, to Mr. W. H. Howell, was granted. " Cmn Jnl 25 Nov 1904
1905 [1902: Miss Pudge married Stephen Von Davies, who died 1905 - WGWWA 14 Sept 1905]
Petty Sessions: Lampeter; number on list: 2; name of premises: Black Lion; Parish / Place: Lampeter; Licensee: Howell, William Henry; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : J C Harford Esq, Falcondale, Lampeter; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 7. (1905 list)
William Rees, Licensee of the Emlyn Arms, Newcastle Emlyn and The Black Lion Hotel, Lampeter, at Carmarthen Bankruptcy Court (Aberystwyth Observer 17.3.1910)
In Bankruptcy, William Rees, who owed £3,958 in 1910
He commenced business as a licenced Victualler at the Bunch of Grapes, Newcastle Emlyn in 1891. He disposed of that and took the Emlyn Arms, Newcastle Emlyn, in Sept, 1899.
In 1905 he took the Black Lion, Lampeter which business was managed for him. It was held under a sub-lease from the Swansea Old Brewery for 6 years from 29.9.1905
Letter dated 23.4.1910 from John C. Harford, Peterwell Estate Office, offering new lease of the Black Lion to Sergt. Major Baldwin, of Church Street, Lampeter, on same terms as that to the Swansea Old Brewery.
Mortgage, dated 29.4.1910, Henry Baldwin to David Roberts and Sons Ltd.
For leasehold premises, Black Lion Hotel, Lampeter, £300
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
Application of temporary transfer of Licence to Mrs Baldwin
Licence transfer granted.
Licensee - Sgt Maj. Henry Baldwin
To let. Black Lion Hotel, Lampeter with 5 miles of salmon fishing on the Teifi. Landlord going abroad on active service.
Apply Peterwell Estate
NLW , Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7
temporary transfer of Licence to Mr D I Rees, Auctioneer from Sgt Maj Baldwin
High Sheriff's luncheon at the Black Lion. High Sheriff: Sir Arthur Harford
Black Lion still openAdditional information