N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Boars Head, Aberystwyth
Other names: Address/Location:
Queen's Road, Aberystwyth SY23 2HT OS Grid Ref:
before 1840 Closed:
c. 2001 Type:
The Boar's Head inn was situated at the north end of the promenade in splendid isolation for many years. The Queen's Hotel, later the Police Station and County Offices were built in front of it in 1866. It appears in various prints of the promenade from at least the 1840s.
Its proximity to the Police Station made it the 'local' for police officers who were not too concerned about keeping to official opening hours.
After becoming a Po Na Na nightclub in 2000 (part of the chain) it closed in about 2001 and was briefly occupied by squatters who called it Palas y Bobl in 2006.Notes:
The licence of the Boar's Head (or Neptune) was transferred from Donald McDonald to John Morgan of Talybont
Cambrian News 1.3.1872
Worrall's Directory, 1874
Boar's Head, Lewis Jones, Inn and Public House, Queen's Road, Aberystwyth,
Worrall's Directory, 1875
Boar's Head, Lewis Jones, Queen's Road.
Slater's Directory of North and South Wales 1880
Publican Lewis Jones, head, age 33, born in Clarach, publican.
William Pierce, head, age 55, born in Flintshire, hotel keeper.
Landlord: William Pierce
Kelly's Directory 1895
'Boar's Head Hotel, Queen's Road, Aberystwyth, W. Evans, proprietor. Close to station, cliff railway and Constitution Hill. Facing the sea. Every accommodation for visitors and travellers at moderate charges. Choicest ales, wines, spirits and cigars.'
Bennett's Business Directory, 1900
'Boars Head, Queen's Road, (facing the sea, every convenience, wines, spirits and cigars of the best quality. Captain Evans, proprietor.'
Trades Directory Wales, 1901
Petty Sessions: Aberystwyth; number on list: 7; name of premises: Boar's Head; Parish / Place: Aberystwyth; Licensee: Evans, William E.; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : W H Palmer, Queen's Hotel; free or tied: tied; tied to: City Brewery; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
Boar's Head, Queen's Road, Evans.
South Wales and Monmouthshire Directory, 1907
Boar's Head, Queen's Road.
Wales Trades Directory 1912
Landlord: William Lloyd Evans.
Kelly's Directory 1920
'Boars Head Hotel, Queen's Road. Bed and Breakfast. Lloyd Evans, proprietor.'
Wales Trades Directory 1936
Landlord Howard Greenhouse found nearly 100 glass and earthenware containers behind a retaining wall during building work. These containers included brand names of local chemists and businesses. The wall held back an earth bank and was built in about the mid 1800s. The landlord believed that the Boar's Head is the oldest purpose built pub in the town and was built at the end of the 18th century.
Western Mail 11/10/1975
Empty, used by squatters and known as Palas y Bobl