The database currently contains details of 1002 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 329 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 672 newspaper articles, 253 maps and 104 documents. About 134 pubs are still open.
Use the options below to search the database.
N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.
Details of pub: Sailors Arms, AberaeronOther names: Straw InnAddress/Location:
Dolphin Place/ South Beach / Vulcan Place OS Grid Ref:
before 1861 Closed:
c. 1905 Type:
Rebuilt and renamed the Beach Hotel
1871 census between 5 Wellington St and Neptune Place
Shown as PH on 1890 and 1905 OSNotes:
1861 James, Daniel, (Census Returns, 1861)
1868 James, Daniel, (Slater's Directory, 1868)
1871 Census Daniel James, 59, Builder
1875 James, Daniel, (Worrall's Directory, 1875)
1884 James, Daniel, (Map and Schedule of Aberaeron, (1884), plot no 220)
1905 Abram [sic], In a dilapidated state (Licence records)
Petty Sessions: Aberaeron; number on list: 13; name of premises: Sailor's Arms; Parish / Place: Aberaeron; Licensee: Thomas, Abraham; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : A.L. Gwynne, Monachty; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: on; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
See also Mair Lloyd Evans and Mair Harrison, The Ins and Outs of the Inns of Aberayron, (2013), p. 12-14, 17, 20