Explore the database

The database currently contains details of 991 pubs and other premises, 256 places and 209 people. There are also 309 photos and postcards, 80 pub signs, 662 newspaper articles, 252 maps and 104 documents. About 138 pubs are still open.

Use the options below to search the database.

N.B. Some pubs do not appear on the maps as we do not have a definite location for them.

Quick search

    Search for:
    Browse the database     Advanced search
Something not right? Got extra information? Please contact us and tell us more!

Details of pub: Gogerddan Arms, Llanbadarn Fawr

Other names:
Address/Location:
OS Grid Ref: SN6000880930
Opened: c.      
Closed: open 2017       Type: Pub
Summary: Meeting place of the Oddfellows, St Padarn's Lodge, established or first registered: 1868
(JD Pratt’s list, addition no. 114, date of approval by Pratt 30.5.1868)

Meeting place of the Padarn Fawr Friendly Society, established or first registered: 1824 (Samuel Williams Sales Book, NLW, MS2844E (Articles published July, 1817)

Meeting place of the Padarnfawr New Friendly Society, established or first registered: 1834
(JD Pratt’s list, printed, no. 20, date of approval by Pratt 19.11.1834)



Notes: 1851
Thomas Williams, head, widower, age 64, born in Llanfihangel y Creuddyn, parish clerk.
1851 Census
1868
Licensee: John Edwards
Slater’s Directory, 1868
1875
licensee: John Edwards (Worrall’s Directory, 1875)
1881
John Edwards, age 48, Innkeeper and Joiner
1881 census
1882
Six days' licenses granted to John Edwards,
Llanbadarn Fawr Petty Sessions, The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 1st September 1882
1891
John Edwards, age 58, Innkeeper
1891 Census
1905
Petty Sessions: Llanbadarn Fawr; number on list: 6; name of premises: Gogerddan Arms; Parish / Place: Llanbadarn Fawr; Licensee: Edwards, Anne, Miss; owner or tenant : tenant; registered owner : Sir Pryse Pryse, Gogerddan; free or tied: Free; tied to: [blank]; type of licence: full; on or off licence: [blank]; number of licenced days per week: 6. (1905 list)
1918 Aberystwyth Rural Tribunal CN 19 July 1918
"Roderick Edwards, Gogerddan Arms, Llanbadarn, 50, Grade 2, single, owner and licensee, invested all his capital in the house and business, and had no one to carry it on if he went; was a mason by trade.The N.S.R. suggested that Edwards should volunteer for national service.-Two months [deferral] and to find work of national importance."
1926
Among the many freehold properties owned by David Roberts and Sons, 31.3.1926
NLW, Roberts and Evans, David Roberts of Trefechan; CB7/7


Additional information

Pub sign:

Pub sign, 2006

Date:

Map:

Gogerddan Arms, Llanbadarn Fawr, 6 inch map, 1904

Date:

Postcard:

Gogerddan Arms, Llanbadarn Fawr, about 1900

Date: 1900 (approx)

Photograph:

Gogerddan Arms, Llanbadarn Fawr, 2005

Date: 2005 (approx)

Photograph:

Gogerddan Arms, Llanbadarn Fawr, 2016

Date: 2016

Newspaper:

Pubs open on Xmas Day

Date: 1864

Postcard:

The square in Llanbadarn Fawr, Gogerddan Arms is the white building

Date: 1904 (approx)


People associated with this establishment
Independent Order of Oddfellows, [-]